Housing Law

‘Secure tenancies’ are council tenancies or housing association tenancies, i.e. only a ‘Registered Social Landlord’ may offer them to tenants, and indeed, generally speaking, they are the only type of tenancy that a Registered Social Landlord may offer.

They are regulated by statute, mainly the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001 and a series of government regulations.

A landlord wishing to repossess residential premises let under a Secure Tenancy usually requires to apply to court for an eviction order or ‘decree’.

Occasionally a lanldord may repossess without such an order, e.g. by using the Abandonment Procedure instead, or where the tenant voluntarily consents to flit the premises.

Related Links

Housing (Scotland) Act 2001

Quick Links